Thursday, July 19, 2007

Surfacing

It doesn't rain, it pours. My books arrived this week, so between bouts of PS3ing, reading, and web surfing, I've hardly written a thing. This won't do. I've a novella to finish by the end of the month, and since I plan to spend the last few days of said month lounging poolside while waiters bring me froofy alcoholic beverages in a rainbow of unnatural colors, I'd best get back to writing.

Thirteen things I read this week

  1. Sons of Heaven, by Kage Baker
  2. The Rest Falls Away, by Colleen Gleason
  3. The Maltese Falcon, by Dashiell Hammett
  4. David Denby's piece on modern romantic comedies in this weeks New Yorker
  5. Victoria's Secret Sale! Catalog This is the fourth such sale catalog I've received in two weeks. I don't know why VS keeps sending me the damned things. They don't even make/sell my bra size. I know I have an eentsy rib cage, but for a company that's trying to diversify into Asia, Victoria's Secret has a terrible selection of band sizes smaller than 34.
  6. PS3 manual
  7. BBC News (my precious!)
  8. Slate.com
  9. L.A. Observed
  10. Scandal on the Romance Blogs! The Usual Suspects: Bam, Karen, Smart Bitches, Mrs. Giggles, Dear Author, Kate R.
  11. FarmVet.com catalog (Why does a website have a paper catalog? Country-living relatives leave the strangest things behind when they visit.)
  12. Vogue, España. Vogue, España still uses models on their covers. Vogue, España is full of images of American celebrities. Vogue, España makes me feel like I am not indulging in shallow pursuits because I am not just reading a fashion magazine, I'm Practicing my Spanish. Also, writing about Vogue, España today has helped me learn to use the tilde in HTML.
  13. God is Not Great, by Christopher Hitchens