Thursday, July 12, 2007

Here be Dragons...

Best to take care of the figurative dragons first...RWA has roused the fiery ire of many a small-press, ePubbed and aspiring author. I won't waste time explaining when Carrie Lofty did a better job of it over on Bam's blog. Suffice to say, RWA declared that ePublishers weren't real publishers, and rained all over my published author parade. But not too much. I'm pretty sure they'll change their mind in a year or two. Remember, you read it here first.

Samhain editor Angela James responded with professionalism and class.

As to the literal dragons...things come in threes. Apropos of nothing, I picked up Shana Abe's The Dream Thief and Naomi Novik's His Majesty's Dragon at the library day before yesterday (my Amazon order won't arrive till next week). Read them both. Abe's book was pretty damn good, even if the ending seemed a little *coughsequelbaitcough* anticlimactic. But she's got me. I'll read her next one.

And Novik's book--my goodness!--she's got me for as long as she wants. Can't say enough good things about it. Check out Jane's review for specifics. Throw in a fangirl squee! and you've got my take on the matter.

Drat the quick-fingered library patron who snatched up the sequels before I could put an electronic hold on them. Waiting just ain't my thing.

As to the third dragon thing, Kate R. posted a picture of the cover for her alter-ego, Summer Devon's, forthcoming novella with Samhain. It's purty. Go have a look.