Sunday, July 8, 2007

70 Days of Sweat

I just read about Allison Kent's 70 Days of Sweat challenge, so, of course, I had to go over and sign up. The challenge is to write your novel in 70 days, which, unlike NaNoWriMo, is a doable challenge for folks who are staring down the barrel of a 100,000 word novel.

I'm not working on a new full length right now. Currently, I'm trying to finish a novella (Bright) and a short novel (Split) and the as-yet untitled Sci-fi thingy. Overall, I need to write about 50K words, and edit and polish. So I'm doing a modified version of the challenge. It's rather like doing a modified push up--same name, way less difficult.

Point is, I'm gunning to write 1500 to 2000 words a day for the next 70 (okay, 75) days and have 3 finished stories by September 20th, 2007. Participants are supposed to report updates every Wednesday and Sunday.

Here are the stories I'm working on. I'll create word count charts for them, soon:


1) Title: Bright
2) Hero/Profession: Kostantin Amur / Man of Mystery or Criminal?
3) Heroine/Profession: Rosalind Stark / Waitress and non-starving artist
4) Setting: Dark River City
5) Length: 25K-30K words
6) Current Status
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
5,000 / 27,000
(18.5%)

______________________
1) Title: Split
2) Hero/Occupation: Jake Wright/Jack Sinistral / Scientist/Assassin/Split personality
3) Heroine/Occupation: Mara Keane / Professional Knife-thrower
4) Setting: Dark River City
5) Length: 45K-60K words
_______________________
1) Book Title: Untitled
2) Hero/Occupation: Undecided/Alien liaison
3) Heroine/Occupation: Ysabel Ravi/Translator & Traitor
4) Lost planet
5) 45k-60k words