Tuesday, July 24, 2007

I Can Has Books: Redux

Just as I was running out of the books I ordered with the gift certificate I won in Bam's July contest, I won another book (Marjorie M. Liu's Soul Song) in a random drawing on Lynne Viehl's Paperback Writer Blog. Woo hoo! Also, thanks to my mad Inter-Library Loan skillz (and half-dozen library cards) I was able to get my hands on Throne of Jade, book two in Naomi Novik's Temeraire series.

I devoured Throne of Jade in less than a day. It was yummy, but not quite as filling as the first book. It suffered from being a transitional book in the series. A lot of the emotional weight of the plot hangs on some questions which are very easy to guess, given that this is a series, and I've already got the next book on order.

Nevertheless, Novik again delivered a fascinating, imaginative, well-rounded world, with characters I've really come to care about. Can't wait for round 3.