Friday, June 1, 2007

Bittersweet

Like a Thief in the Night
Zokutou word meter
26,167 / 25,000
(104.7%)


I did it. I finished "Like a Thief in the Night" and sent it off to Samhain yesterday - at the bitter end of the deadline for their Strangers in the Night Valentine 2008 anthology. I thought I would feel more relieved to finally be done, but that just ain't so.


Last night I printed out the story again and found a few typos I'd missed. (Why do I torture myself like this?) Also, though I'm pleased with the ending, I would have loved just 2500 more words over the length of the novella. It's funny to complain about length-restrictions in a piece I started as a 200 word contest entry, but there you have it.

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with myself. I managed to take a story from 200 words to completion in about three and a half weeks. And given the number of half-finished works in progress I have sitting around, that's quite an achievement.

Even if "Like a Thief in the Night" doesn't get picked, I'll still be glad of the experience of writing it. I worked hard on the story and finished it - and I had a good time doing it. And besides, I happen to think it's a pretty fun story.