Friday, May 25, 2007

The Bitter End

Haven't I written this post before? At the start of the month, I wrote a 200 word entry for Bam's monthly contest. Didn't win, but I was curious to see where it would go so I kept on writing. Then I surfed over to Samhain and saw the call for submissions to their 2008 "Strangers in the Night" anthology. Short story (25K words), due by June 1, 2007.

"OK," I thought, "the story I'm writing has strangers who meet in the night. Granted, the heroine kills the hero by the third paragraph, but I've got 25,000 words to help those two crazy kids work things out. I've already set myself a goal to write 2, 000 words a day. This is doable, right?"

Maybe...

I'm sitting here looking at the last 5K words of the story. I know what's going to happen. I know how things will end. And I can't get it written. What is my problem?

And in case you're wondering, that other story, the one I posted about waaaaaaay back in the day? It's quite a bit longer than my current WIP, but it languishes on my hard drive, 5k words from completion. Uggh!

Like a Thief in the Night

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
20,000 / 25,000
(80.0%)


Segment removed.