Tuesday, June 19, 2007

First-Person Fatigue

Is it just me, or are there a few too many snarky-heroined open-ended first-person paranormal series out there? I can't buy books because I am broke, so I picked up Karen Marie Morning's latest fairy-flavored offering from the New Books shelf at the local biblioteca. She's not my usual style - a few too many virgin heroines - but borrowers can't be choosers.

Darkfever was fast and readable, but rather stale. Perhaps I've seen this sort of young, snarky, fashion-obsessed first-person narrator before? Lately when I pick up a first-person narrated paranormal I get the same queasy feeling I get when I've eaten too many beignets. The difference between "enough" and "one too many" is always one - and you never know which one until it hits you. Mmm. Hungry. Who wants beignets?

Maybe I should give up on the first-person dark fantasy story that's been sitting on my hard drive for the past two years...